To read on NHS Education for Scotland website:
Note: Learning disability in UK is the same thing than intellectual disability elsewhere.
Following the launch of Strengthening the Commitment the report of the UK review of Learning Disabilities Nursing, NES is undertaking a range of activities to support implementation of the educational recommendations arising from the report and to inform and support implementation of Scotland’s Delivery Action Plan.
From 2012 – 2013 we have:
1. Supported implementation of a sustainable national model of pre-registration nursing education delivery in Scotland;
2. Developed the National Framework for Pre Registration Learning Disability Nursing Field Programmes in Scotland;
3. Developed the Career and Development Framework for learning Disability Nursing in Scotland.
During 2013 – 2014 we will continue to build on this work by:
1. Continuing to support the national model of pre registration learning disability nursing in Scotland;
2. Promoting the use and uptake of a range of educational resources to enhance the development of learning disability nurses knowledge and skills;
3. Developing an educational resource to support the development of knowledge and skills in Psychological Awareness and Learning Disability
4. Developing an educational resource for Health Care Support Workers that focuses on Positive Behaviour Support and the value base of learning disability nursing;
5. Working with people with learning disabilities, family carers and key organisations to develop a database of people with learning disabilities and family carers to support education;
6. Developing a family carer based DVD that can be drawn upon for teaching across a range of settings;
7. Developing a virtual reference group to support the expansion and embedding within practice of the Learning Disability Portal;
8. Developing a Community of Practice around Positive Behaviour Support and Psychological Awareness.