To read on The Big Idea website:
Note: In the UK, the term of ‘Learning disability’ is used instead of ‘Intellectual disability’.
Learning Disability Week 2016
Learning Disability Week 2016 is coming soon!
This year’s theme is about friendships and relationships – we want everyone to make a new friend this Learning Disability Week (20-26 June).
As we mark the 50th anniversary of our Gateway leisure clubs, we’re celebrating the vital role friendships play in people with a learning disability being included in society.
People with a learning disability can find it difficult to make friends, and still often face isolation and exclusion from everyday activities. We want this to change, and we need your support to make it happen.
Get involved in Learning Disability Week 2016
- Volunteer as a Mencap Sidekick to someone with a learning disability and support them to go out and do the things they love
- Find a Mencap Local Group in your area and contact them to see how you can support their work
- Tell us your friendship stories and help us raise awareness during Learning Disability Week – email: email@example.com
- Start collecting photos of friendships to share with us during the week
Are you part of a Mencap Local group?
- Take part in our Gateway Jubilee celebrations and invite other people in your community to join in and meet someone new
- Tell us your friendship stories and help us raise awareness during Learning Disability Week – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re a journalist and you want to know more about this year’s Learning Disability Week, get in touch with Mencap’s media team.
We have plenty more news to come about this year’s event, so sign up to our newsletter and follow the hashtag #LDWeek16 to keep up to date!